Saturday, March 26, 2011

Half Marathon

Here I am, at mile marker 8. Can't believe how fast it flew by. Both the race itself as well as the training. I am so proud of myself. I love my sister, Gay for saying 'YES' when I asked her if she wanted to do the half with me back in December. I wanted her to say 'No, too busy, too much going on.' But no, she said 'Yes,' and here I am. (Notice that she is not running next to me). In fact, at this point in the game she is long past the finish line, sipping on water, and eating a sandwich perhaps. Unfortunately, half way through training Gay hurt her knee and decided it wasn't in her future to go through knee surgery. Can't say I blame her - glad she chose wisely. She finished the 5 mile in under an hour.

I have to give kudos to my family too for sticking by me through thick, and thin. On days that I did not want to train, Shanon was there to pick a fight with so that I had an excuse to get out of a run. On Saturday mornings, once the long runs took over our whole afternoon, Colton was there to go on about something or another while Alex rode his bike next to me chattering all the way. Bailey loved the long rides, until we hit the 9 mile mark when the wet diaper couldn't hold anymore, or her little toes got tired and would rather run. Shanon was a trooper the whole time. I love you hubby!! I love my kiddos!!

All in all I've lost about thirteen pounds total, with sixteen more to go to reach my goal weight. My finish time for 13.1 total miles was 2 hours 30 minutes. That's an average of about 11 minutes 40 seconds per mile. Slow, but average I suppose.

This race is definitely dedicated to my wonderful family o' five. I love you guys, even when I'm extra special tired and start to get cranky.....a.k.a. you know what I'm talking about wink wink (I'm sure my mom remembers from when I was a child). I suppose that's another post for another time.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, You're amazing!!!!!!! I am so thrilled for you. This is so cool. What a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete