Monday, August 2, 2010

Weigh Down

So, my friend Jenny let me borrow this book called "The Weigh Down Diet" and I'm contemplating it. I have this goal to get to my ideal weight. I even bought a treadmill for $30 at the thrift store. I've run on it once. The kids have ran on it more than me.

This Weigh Down book talks about being your 'meant to be, ideal weight'. It talks about eating smaller portions. It talks about the size of the stomach (a closed fist), the "gift" of hunger (that can happen anywhere from 45 minutes to 36 hours after you eat), and eating what you really want - but only until your stomach is full. It also talks about how the stomach has to reach a acidic ph balance of 1.5 ( I think) which is pretty acidic, in order for the digested food to move out of the stomach and into the bloodstream. Interesting. Oh! And when your stomach is full, the taste of the food changes too. The tongues taste bugs (As Colton calls them) actually close down and the food doesn't taste as good. It also changed my perspective on the surplus of food and the idea that I am 'wasting' it. There is ALWAYS enough food. I only require a little bit. The size of my stomach organ, and then I can wait until later and eat whatever it is I want.

The book itself has a lot of God reference but I am reading between the lines. What I am getting out of it is how my body works. That's the goal. I really want to know what it is my body organs need and require to function at their optimal performance.

Now that I have these words in my head I can't eat like I use to. Bummer. Now that I'm aware of my stomach filling up I am noticing that I really like to eat food. More than I thought I did. I now notice that I eat for whatever reason - even when the "gift of hunger" hasn't presented it's lovely face.

I want to give my organs a break - not overwork them like I have been. It's almost like I've been cursed with this knowledge overnight. I was asleep before and now that I get how my body works, I can't do anything but obey it. I don't obey the food. I don't want to anyway. I need it to work for me, not me work for it. That's just stupid.

When I eat now, I am communicating with my stomach organ. I am noticing that it needs just a little more, and then stop. It's topped. But there is so much more food left!! It's been challenging stopping when I'm full. Similar to quitting smoking. Even harder. I've been eating like this for years. It's an authentic addiction. I wonder if it will truly change the way I live, and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment