Thursday, July 28, 2011

Grandma Millie Behrman


I had the opportunity to share Banana Creamsicles with this beautiful and fun 90 year old woman two weeks before she transitioned to the next world. All three of my kids were able to say hello, and goodbye, with a kiss on her warm soft cheek. The younger kids played with the wrap around curtains in her room while Colton and I listened to her reminisce about her years in Buena Vista and Leadville, Colorado where she graduated from high school. She looked forward to seeing her husband again. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about her life.

I held her hand almost the entire time I was with her. I love her so much. There is not a memory I have of her without a turned up smile spreading wide across her face, happy to see and chat with whoever was walking through the door.
I made a porcelain doll for her once. I called it Millie, after her. Belief it or not, I found it in her home. I looked through so many dolls that she has collected over the years which she loved dearly. I found it in her sacred bedroom of all places. She must have loved me too.

I was happy to hear that my mom was with her when she passed on June 23rd. My mom was holding her, washing her as she got sick on herself. My grandma wondered why she had to be so sick, she was a good person and a devout Jehovas Witness. My mom was there as her mom looked up and saw two of her friends awaiting her. In moments she was gone.
My mom was there.
My sister walked in only moments later, there for my mom.
What a blessing.

I love you Grandma, you are such a role model for me as a mom, and potential future grandma. I will always remember your exuberant smile and laugh. I can only hope that people remember me the way that I hold you in my heart. I do not mourn for you, because I know your spirit is not gone forever, but has only transitioned into another form, in another place.

I love you Grandma!!

No comments:

Post a Comment