Monday, May 21, 2012

Annular Solar Eclipse - Ring of Fire

Yesterday was an event of a lifetime. The moon passed between the earth and the sun producing a ring of fire. This is called an Annular Solar Eclipse. We were right outside the perfect zone to view this event. We decided to head south to get an even better view. We ended up at the Needles Overlook area where we met many people there for the same purpose. 

Road trip! Going to Needles Overlook.

I got Colton to smile by offering him a coconut cookie covered in chocolate. 

We brought the telescope, forgot the lenses. Doh!


Earlier in the day the kids and I got instructions on how to make eclipse viewers so we could watch this rare occurrence. This is what we came up with.

Here is Bailey's viewer made out of a shoe box. This hole is the viewing hole. As the moon approached, the shadow in the box showed the crescent sun. I couldn't get a great shot of this with our camera, but I posted what I was able to capture.

Pin hole in the tinfoil


Homemade viewers
I have to say the longer the box the better. Because the sun is of course bigger in the viewing area.


Bai is trying to figure out how to use hers.

Agi's viewer


Almost the peak moment

Taken at the peak moment! Awesome.
The welding mask really made a difference in watching this happen.
I was amazed at how much colder it got as the moon began to cover the sun.
I also felt humbled realizing all that is is because of this constantly burning ball of fire.  I wish I could describe the feeling in my chest as it bubbled with excitement.


Although we used a number 14 in welding glass, I still made the kids wear sunglasses as double protection. The retinas can burn painlessly and permanently looking at the sun.

Bailey and I talk about the dance between the sun and the moon  all day, every day. Finally, they get to kiss.


This is what I'm able to capture from inside one of the homemade viewers.

The clan with our viewers (My shadow on the left)

This picture was taken by putting the welding mask between the sun, moon, and camera. You can't see the eclipse unless you open the picture and zoom in on the sun. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the new caption under your blog title. It is a family project. You have a beautiful family. How neat that you got out to do this.

    ReplyDelete