Sunday, August 24, 2014

Wood!!

All week I'd been looking forward to meeting my dad or brother in Price with a load of 1,000 linear feet of cedar tongue and groove. Then at the last minute the guy I was buying the lumber from told me that there was a potential return from a customer of 1,100 linear feet in Grand Junction which would be deeply discounted because they would charge the customer a restocking fee.

It seemed like I waited forever for him to work out the details. Finally, late Thursday night he texted me that the wood was back from the customer and sitting in Grand Junction if I wanted to come pick it up. I borrowed Ted's trailer and drove out first thing Friday morning.

This was the returned cedar. 

I picked up this load for $300 = $0.30 a linear foot!! I was stoked.

Then, I saw this.....
 
Beetle Kill Pine - right out of our very own Colorado Mountain
I scored on the 1500 linear feet (top stack) getting it for $0.50 a linear foot = $700 for the pile

Could not take enough pictures of this beautiful wood.

My entire paycheck + most of Shanon's is now gone for the next two weeks. Woops! But you know what, we know how to be hungry for a minute and we have stocked food. I just need to get really creative.

I did not realize how much wood 1,000 linear feet was and super glad I didn't make my dad or brother meet me in Price only to unload their trailer and reload mine. That would have taken forever. Also, I would not have been able to pick up the future face of our garage, house, and ceilings in the living room and kitchen - YES!! I am almost positive that this blue pine will finish out all of those things.

Needless to say, the trailer was packed and weighed down. Glad I made it the 2 hours from GJ to Moab. I drove 55 miles an hour all the way home and was super nervous about it especially when the wind started blowing with that much weight on the end. I have been buzzing ever since. Telling everyone on my street to come and look at my wood. Probably the only time I will ever be able to say that and not be inappropriate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment